Customer Success Interview Questions
Top interview questions asked to prospective CSMs in the tech industry.
If you’re hoping to become a Customer Success Manager and have landed your first CSM interview, there are a handful of questions you should always be prepared to answer, and others that you should be prepared to ask.
CSM interview questions you should be prepared to answer
1. Why do you want to work in Customer Success?
Companies want to know why you are interested in CS. Are you passionate about Customer Success or any role you can get? You want to show that you are dedicated to landing a Customer Success role using specific examples.
2. Why do you want to work at this company?
Specifically, what makes this company stand out? Be able to point this out with details. Look at the core values and explore their product before going into the interview. Do your research and have specifics to share.
3. Tell me about your past experiences and how they would support you in this role.
Whether or not you have past CS experience, this is your opportunity to draw parallels between your past work experience and the job you’ll be doing as a CSM.
4. Tell me about a time you’ve had a difficult conversation with a customer or colleague. How did you approach the situation?
As a CSM, you’ll have these conversations come up frequently. An employer wants to know how you will be solutions-oriented and professional during these situations.
CSM interview questions you should be prepared to ask
1. What traits and skills does your top CSM have?
This will give you an idea of what they are looking for and how you align with their top skills and traits.
2. What makes your product or service unique? How do you stand out with your competitors?
It is important to know how the company’s product works. You want to gain information about how they generate revenue, who their clients are and what companies are their competitors.
3. How does your Sales team collaborate with the Customer Success team?
It is important for these parts of the business to work together. Hearing how they collaborate will give you a good idea and understanding of what teamwork and goal alignment looks like on the team.
4. What are the company goals for this quarter? 6 months from now?
This shows that you are goal-oriented and have interest in the bigger picture. In joining a company, retention is important. How can you show that you are curious and interested in future growth?
Interviewing now? Check out the free Customer Success videos in our Aspireship LIVE! Video library. Need 1×1 help? On-demand CSM interview coaching is a few clicks away.
Have you earned your CSM certification? If not, check out CS Foundations. Earn an industry-recognized CSM certificate and improve your chances of getting hired.